Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April Project

So, for April's project(s), I don't really have finished pieces, but I have a ton of samples.  This month I learned how to make kumihimo braids, with and without beads.  I can't bring myself to make something just as a sample unless it turns out poorly, so these cords are all going to end up in bracelets or necklaces.  Also, learning kumihimo was a great excuse to treat myself to some Hand Maiden Sea Silk yarn, which I'd fondled (repeatedly) years ago in Philadelphia at Rosie's Yarn Cellar.  It's a bit pricy, but it's got an incredible feel to it.  Next time, I'll probably size up to Hand Maiden's Sea Three and see how that works out.  (I expect some lush thick cords will result, and I'm eagerly anticipating getting to find out!)  Both of these yarns are made up of silk and sea cell, which means that I'm bringing a touch of actual seaweed to these pieces.


These are some close ups of the bracelet cords.  From the top, these are (and this is mostly for my notes, but if anyone out there learning kumihimo stumbles across it, it might be helpful!):
8 strands, triple thickness
8 strands, double thickness
16 strands, single thickness
8 strands, single thickness

And here are some necklace length cords.  I think I'm going to need to make two or three more before I can assemble the necklace.


Also, you can braid with beads on the kumihimo disk!  It's a little bit fiddly to learn, but I'm pleased with my preliminary braid!  This was done with 8/0 Toho beads, but I'm working on sizing down to 11/0, and my first short test (which I unbraided) looks promising.  Unfortunately, my entire stash of beads is 95% 11/0 Miyuki.  (Again, this is mostly for anyone else out there experimenting with kumihimo:)  The Miyuki beads are very tube shaped, and fairly blunt edged, while the Toho beads are much more round.  The rounded look works much better for kumihimo, and the beaded cord is much more comfortable.  Which means I'll be rebuying all of my beads in a new brand!  Unfortunately, I loathe seed beads with a shine, and the range of Toho beads currently available in a matte/frosted finish is fairly limited.  (Definitely an area that the Miyuki beads come out ahead in.  Great range of colors in the matte finishes.)

Now, what really spurred me on to learning kumihimo was the fact that hand knitting cords with double point needs is a really long process.  What I can do on a kumihimo disk in two hours, it would take approximately ten to fourteen hours to do on double point needles. 


These are all knitted with silk ribbon.  I haven't tried silk ribbon on the kumihimo disk yet, but I should be experimenting with it soon!  The main advantage (and this might be due to the fact that I have a lot more experience knitting than with kumihimo) is that I can vary the thickness of the cords.  You'll notice that some of the knitted cords vary from thick to thin, and I haven't figured out if this is possible on a kumihimo disk.  (Honestly, I haven't tried yet, so it might be!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Entries

Search This Blog